Yesterday was a long, busy day in Katie World. We started the day off with her
eye doctor, and got news I wasn't quite ready for yet: She needs glasses immediately. I knew the day would come, but 11 1/2 months seems awfully young to be wearing glasses. I have to admit I struggled a bit through the day as the news settled in. So I spent a few hours last night on the site "
Babies With Glasses" and was comforted to read stories from other moms in similar situations. Of particular interest to me was the
photo gallery of babies with glasses. It was hard for me to imagine until then what exactly a baby with glasses would look like. We'll be getting the glasses later this week and I'll post a photo then.
Until then, here are some fun photos of Katie enjoying the tiny couch in the doctor's waiting room.


Afterwards we caught the last 15 minutes of Mommy's last Bible study of the year. Community Bible Study has been such a blessing to me this year. Katie and I have been in a "small" group of 23 nursing moms and their babies. When we started, Katie was 3 1/2 months old and would sit quietly in her car seat while we had our discussion about Genesis. Those days are ancient history!! Now she climbs all over the other babies and their toys. It's been fun to see all the babies grow up this year. So it's sad to say our goodbyes.
We went home for a few hours of "quiet" time (Katie napping, playing, eating, and getting her patch time in; Mommy watching her, working and doing laundry; both of us walking the dog), and then Katie's good friend (aka potential husband) Kai came over with his mommy. I didn't get any good photos of them together yesterday, but here's one of them playing together last week:
Daddy came home shortly after Kai left, and Katie got to try two new things: grown-up lasagna and her new walking toy. She couldn't get enough of the lasagna, and neither could her clothes. Needless to say, we carried her straight to the bathtub after dinner was over.
Then we pulled out her new walking toy, a hand-me-down from my friend Betsy (thank you, Betsy!). In no time flat, she was running across the living room with it. Here's the video.
After cheering her on, John stepped outside to finish mowing the lawn (can I tell you again how much I LOVE having John home before sunset?!!). I took Katie over to watch, and Katie enjoyed waving HI! to her Daddy. See video below.
Finally we started settling down for the night, but not until we enjoyed our favorite Tuesday night family pasttime: American Idol (A.I.). John and I are cheering for David Cook, but Katie enjoys cheering for everyone. She has always been fascinated by American Idol -- see this former blog post and this video taken last week:
Katie was more than ready for bed by her 9 pm bedtime!
3 comments:
I can understand your feelings about getting glasses at such a young age. Out little guy likely has strabismus. We won't know anything until we can get him home and get a proper evaluation, but we're starting to think about patching, glasses, and surgery as possibilities.
I love the video of Katie and the walker. We had the same one (also passed down to us,) and Riley learned to walk with that thing. Oh, the memories of her ramming walls and running over cats.
Abby says she likes Katie. ;)
Sorry to hear about the glasses, but glad you found some encouragement online.
Love the shots!
Post a Comment